Cross Country takes the lead

Robinson’s boys cross country team wins district meet

The 2017 boys cross country team races to the finish line.

Morgan Brazier, Staff Writer

Robinson’s boys Cross Country team has been training since the beginning of summer for their district meet on Thursday, October 26. And the meet’s results prove that their hard work is paying off.

After months of training the team came in first place at the district meet.

One of the team’s best runners, Ethan Geiger (’20), who is ranked 34th in the state and 3rd as a sophomore, had recently been injured and ran on Thursday for the first time in almost a week.

Unfortunately, Geiger did not feel that this was his best meet but hopes to do better as he continues to recover from his injury.

“I know I suffered a lot because it was really hard to get right back into racing after not training,” Geiger said.

Although Geiger, coming in fifth place, did not perform his best, the rest of the team did very well. With five of the runners in the top fifteen, they won the district meet for the fifth year in a row.

The team has performed well this season, beating Jesuit in all of their meets, as they expected to do the same at the district meet.

“Put the top five [runners] in the top fifteen…top spots in the race, that wins you the meet. But we expected that,” head coach Mark Altimari said.

Most of the runners shared their coach’s enthusiasm about the meet from the very beginning, expecting to win the district meet.

“In the beginning of the race, I felt confident that we were gonna get the district title. I was energetic and I was ready to go,”  Ethan Hunter (’20) said.

The cross country team will now be advancing to their regional meet next week and with Robinson in the top five in the region, the team expects to go to states.