Knights comeback to beat Booker 22-20

Robinson make a second half comeback to improve their record to 3-2


Photo Jack Kirk

Jay Sawyer (’22) runs a kick back.

Jack Kirk, Sports Editor

After falling to a 13-0 deficit, the Knights rallied back in the second half to win the game 22-20.

The first quarter was uneventful and riddled with penalties, with both teams failing to score. And the second quarter saw the Tornadoes run the ball on the Knights with much success, scoring two rushing touchdowns and making it a 13-0 game going into the second half.

The Knights were unable to efficiently stop the run, and it was clear that adjustments needed to be made if they were to win the game.

By the results of the second half, it is clear that those adjustments were made. Booker did not see the same level of success, with Robinson stopping the running back in the back field on more than one occasion and cutting their drives much shorter than in the first half.

“We stepped up the second half,” Said captain and defensive lineman Destin Tuburcio (’20). “We had to play ball this game and we just did it, we did it as a group.”

The offense also had more life in the second half, with the coaching staff deciding to sub in quarterback Rickeem Parks (’22). Parks threw three passing touchdowns in the second half and had 256 yards through the air on the night.

“It feels good leading my team to a big win,” Parks said.

The Knights brought the score to 16-13 after a pair of touchdowns and a field goal. Booker, however, responded with a touchdown of their own with six minutes left. But the Knights would not relent, grabbing the lead again with the third Parks touchdown of the night.

The Tornadoes would not lie down and call it a night though. They marched down the field and got within fifteen yards of the end zone. The game was decided on a pass meant for one of the Booker receivers who ended up bobbling the pass, and Robinson defensive back Levi Mcaffee (’21) picked the ball out of the air, marking his fifth interception of the year, and gave the Knights possession.

With less than a minute left, the Knights burned the clock out and walked away with a 22-20 victory.

“We kept fighting throughout the whole game and we stuck in there and got what we deserved,” Captain running back Clayton Lee (’20) said.

This made the Knights’ third straight win, putting them at a 3-2 record going into the homecoming game against Newsome on Friday, October 4. (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616)