A 1981 Robinson student practicing on a teacher in the cosmetology class.
Opinion
Trades Are the Way | FSPA 2024 Spring Convention
Keirra McGoldrick, Opinion Editor • April 24, 2024
Official album art for Conan Grays Found Heaven.
"Found Heaven" Finds Its Way to My Spotify
Cecilia Cheng, Print Managing Editor • April 16, 2024

Lady Knights Fall to Belleview in Semi-Finals

The+Lady+Knights+made+their+first+Final+Four+appearance+since+1978.+
Photo Matthew Hall
The Lady Knights made their first Final Four appearance since 1978.

The dream season for the Robinson Lady Knights volleyball team came to a sudden end on Tuesday night at the Silver Spurs Complex in Kissimmee.

Just a few days removed from their stunning comeback win over Naples Lely in the region final, the Lady Knights found themselves in the FHSAA 5A State Final Four for the first time since 1978. It was a large step forward from last year, where the Lady Knights fell in the region final three sets to none.

Although heavy underdogs at the start, the Lady Knights held their own against Belleview High, who came in at 24-5 on the year. Robinson took the first set 27-25 in thrilling fashion before dropping the second set 26-24 in another close game.

Things took a turn for the worse with the match tied 1-1, with the Belleview Lady Rattlers prevailing in the third set 25-11 in convincing fashion. Robinson fought hard in the fourth set before eventually dropping the set 25-19, effectively putting an end to their playoff journey.

Sophomore Meghan Byrd led the team with 8 kills, while senior setter Kylee Gorngpratum contributed 19 assists, 17 digs, 5 kills, and 3 aces. Senior libero Alex Peterson concluded her high school career with 25 digs and 4 aces, while her twin sister Lauren recorded 20 digs and 2 aces.

As this Cinderella-type year comes to an end for the Lady Knights, they will say goodbye to the seniors, as they must every year. Gone will be Kylee Gorngpratum, Lauren Peterson, Alex Peterson, Katsi Pena, and Lauren Wheatley. As they move on from high school, their volleyball legacies will remain with the program for years to come, setting the bar high for their replacements.

Some players may be replaced on the court, but this team will forever have a special place in the history of Robinson Athletics.