Flag Football Moves On To State Tournament

Matthew Hall, Staff Writer

Robinson’s flag football team solidified their place in the state tournament with a win over Northeast High last night. This will be the third year in a row that the Knights qualified for the championship.

Hayden Jennewein (’15) kick started the Knight’s 27-0 victory with a pick-six,  an interception ran back for a touchdown during the game’s opening drive. This is a second game in a row that Jennewein has began with an interception.

“That’s how you want to set the tone,” said Coach Joshua Saunders.

Following her pick-six, Jennewein scored again with 11:32 left in the second quarter, with a set play where she was found wide open in the end zone.

Near the two minute warning of the first half, Amanda Chromiak (’15) added to the score board by running in a touchdown after receiving a pass from Kylee Gorngpratum (’14). Gorngpratum then tallied in a touchdown of her while the clock read five seconds.

Knights led 27-0 at halftime.

The second half was not performed as drawn up. Both sides were completely scoreless, identical to the second half of the Knight’s game against Bloomingdale.

Jennewein made another interception at the one yard line denying a Viking’s touchdown with five minutes left in the third quarter.

The Vikings season ended with a record of 13-3 while the Knights will move their focus to preparing for Friday’s game against Harmony High School in Tallahassee.

Saunders and his team know that a weak second half in their game on Friday versus Harmony will not lead them to game 19.

“We’ve got to play better in the second half,” said Saunders. “The subs have got to come in and do what they’re supposed to do and we can’t have a letdown. I don’t want a letdown. Friday is going to require a full 48 minutes, and hopefully we can take care of business up there.”