Preview: Robinson at Blake

Photo M. Hall

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Winners of two straight, the Robinson Knights will head into James Williams Stadium on Friday night to face the Blake Yellow Jackets, who own a 2-6 record this season.

REWIND: The Knights came out on top in their 2013 contest with Blake by a score of 33-7. Dakarai Reynolds (’15) rushed for 114 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries to lead the team’s offensive attack while Jahrvis Davenport (’15) caught five passes for 82 yards and a touchdown.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Blake):

Corey Bennett Jr.- The Senior running back is the Yellow Jackets’ big-time playmaker. He has already eclipsed the 1,000 rushing yard mark with two games left. As a Junior last season, Bennett Jr. ran for 175 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries against the Knights.

Shavar Manuel- Only a junior, Manuel has made a huge impact on the Blake defense. Through the first seven games of the season, the 6’3″ defensive lineman totaled 46 tackles (37 solo), 16 sacks, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. His big-play potential will make stopping him a tough task for the Robinson offensive line.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson):

Malik Tyson (’16)- In his first eight games as the team’s starting quarterback, Tyson has thrown for 894 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions. Each week, it seems as if he is playing with more confidence than the week before, leaving him in a good position to lead the Knights into next season as a second-year starter.

Demontre Moore (’15)- Moore has been all over the field this season. He put together what was perhaps his best game of the season last week against Chamberlain, racking up 13 total tackles (five solo). In the second quarter of the game, he tipped a pass into the hands of Aivory Foster (’15), which Foster then returned 63 yards for a touchdown. He has totaled 43 tackles (31 solo) and one and a half sacks on the season.

Friday’s district matchup between Robinson (3-5) and Blake (2-6) is set to kick off at 7:30. The game will be played at James Williams Stadium on the campus of Blake High School (1701 North Blvd, Tampa, FL 33607).