Preview: Jesuit at Robinson

Photo M. Hall

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

There will be a different feeling in the air at Jack Peters Field on Friday night when Robinson (4-3) hosts Jesuit (7-0) for the first time since 2011. It will be the first meeting between the two schools since 2012, when the Knights beat the Tigers 31-10. The latest matchup will have major playoff implications, with the winner gaining the inside track to claiming the district title.

REWIND: In their 2012 meeting, the Robinson defense forced four turnovers and quarterback Zain Gilmore (’13) totaled 186 yards. The 31-10 victory for the Knights was the third of nine straight wins to start the season. Robinson went on to win the district before advancing to the state semifinals.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Jesuit):
Malik Davis (’17)– In 11 games last season, Davis rushed for 1,728 yards and 18 touchdowns. He is well on his way to similar numbers this season, but in less time. In five games, the 5-foot-11 junior has 835 yards and 10 touchdowns on 99 carries. Averaging 8.4 yards per carry, Davis has been the go-to guy for the Tigers’ offense.

Daniel Boon (’17)– A strong rushing attack isn’t effective without a serviceable passing game to complement it. Boon has provided that and more so far this season, throwing for 898 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven games. He has also been able to limit turnovers, throwing just two interceptions in 128 passing attempts.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson):
Malik Tyson (’16)– Tyson has been bothered by injuries throughout the season, but he is healthy and coming off of a performance against Alonso last week that saw him complete 10 of 15 passes for 151 yards and two touchdowns. His 111.4 quarterback rating was his third-highest of the season. Running back Anfernee Alston (’17) is back to full health, so he should get more carries this week, helping to set up the passing game nicely for Tyson.

Keldric Preston (’16)– Preston has led the Robinson defense throughout the year, both in his presence and in the box scores. The defensive captain leads the team with 49 total tackles, five tackles for loss and four sacks. He was credited with a safety last week against Alonso for one of his three tackles for loss in the game.

Kickoff for Friday night’s pivotal district matchup is set for 7:30 at Jack Peters Field on the campus of Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).