Preview: Robinson at Spoto

Photo I. Hanewicz

Wide receiver Iyan Mitchell (’16) runs the ball into the end zone for one of his three touchdowns of the night.

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

After dropping last week’s pivotal district game to Jesuit by a score of 44-13, Robinson (4-4) has their backs against the wall, needing to win their final two games to make the playoffs. The Knights will travel to take on a Spoto team that Robinson head coach Shawn Taylor describes as “a very good 2-6 team” that is “athletic and aggressive.”

“We have to execute on offense, defense and special teams or we will be in trouble,” he said.

REWIND: In October of 2012, the Knights shut out the Spartans 47-0 behind 99 rushing yards and four total touchdowns from Martin Ruiz (’13). Spoto rushed for 154 yards on the night, but managed only eight yards through the air.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Spoto):
Demarco Archie (’16)- Archie has carried the Spoto offense throughout the 2015 season, rushing for 891 yards and 10 touchdowns on 149 carries. The Spartans only have 373 passing yards in eight games, so their offensive production on Friday will rely heavily on Archie and the ground game.

Kevius Atkins (’18)- The young pass-rusher has been in the backfield a lot this season, picking up 4 ½ sacks in seven games. He has 47 total tackles (24 solo), ranking in the top three on the team in both categories.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson):
Iyan Mitchell (’16)- Mitchell was one of the lone bright spots in last week’s loss. He totaled 64 yards and caught touchdowns from two different quarterbacks, doubling his touchdown total on the year. After last week, the senior now has 403 receiving yards in eight games this season.

Anfernee Alston (’17)- After struggling against a tough Jesuit defense that allowed just 33 rushing yards to him, Alston will look to get back on track against Spoto. The junior needs 198 yards on the ground in the season’s final two games to pass the 830 yards he rushed for as a sophomore. Inconsistency in the passing game has opened up more carries for Alston, which he has taken advantage of to this point in the season.

Friday night’s district matchup is set for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff at Spoto High School (8538 Eagle Palm Dr, Riverview, FL 33569).