Winter Sports Update: 12/14-12/18

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Boys Basketball

The Knights extended their winning streak to five on Monday night at Hillsborough before it came to an end on Wednesday at Chamberlain. They got back in the win column on Thursday with a 42-39 win over Newsome.

“It feels good. I’m proud of how far the team came,” Javian Henderson (’16) said.

Robinson, now at 8-3 after starting the season 2-2, will take the court on Monday afternoon at Tampa Prep to open up the City of Tampa Tournament.

“Sometimes we let the mistakes get to us and we got a lot of work to do,” he said. “We have the potential; we just have to put more work into it.”

Girls Basketball

The Lady Knights have now won seven games in a row after winning three games this week. They claimed victories over Hillsborough, Chamberlain and Newsome, holding all three teams to under 30 points.

“It’s really exciting to have won 7 games in a row. It is such a transformation since my freshman year when the team was struggling to win even one game,” Charlotte Tuohy (’17) said. “We have really come together and are playing up to our full potential. I’m excited for what the rest of the season holds.”

Robinson will head into their Jan. 6 game with Alonso at 12-3, looking to extend their streak to eight.

Boys Soccer

It was a rough week on the pitch for the Knights as they dropped games to both Jesuit and Freedom. With the season winding down, Robinson has little time to make a big push before the postseason.

“[We need to] improve as team and fix our mistakes,” team captain Sean Conley (’16) said.

After the winter break, the Knights (5-7) will host both Plant (5-4-1) and Newsome (9-0-2).

Girls Soccer

The Lady Knights won their only game this week, an 8-0 mercy rule over Jefferson. With the win, the finish district play at 5-0.

“We have to come together as a team from the defense to the offense,” goalkeeper MacKenzie Johnson (’16) said.

Robinson (7-4) will finish the regular season after the break against Plant and Newsome before heading into districts.

Competitive Cheer

Robinson claimed their second third-place finish of the season on Tuesday night, finishing behind Strawberry Crest and Durant.

“We have more energy and it’s more entertaining,” team captain Keely Clanton (’16) said. “But we still have a lot of improvements to make.”

The team’s next competition is Jan. 7 at Gaither.