Weekly Sports Update: 2/8-2/12

Photo I. Hanewicz

After a face off, Zach Iseler (’17) runs to scoop up the ball before Plant.

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

*Denotes winter sport; **Denotes spring sport

Boys Basketball*

The Knights (17-9) hit the road on Thursday for the regional quarterfinals, coming away with a 67-58 win at Sebring (20-9). With the win, Robinson extended its season and will take on Jesuit (23-5) for the fourth time this year.

“Winning a big game on the road against a good team like Sebring is great,” team captain Javian Henderson (’16) said. “[On Tuesday], we need to focus on executing and sticking together as a team. [We need to] play how we know how to play and we should come out with the victory.”

Iyan Mitchell (’16) led the way for the Knights, coming up with 22 points, five rebounds and four assists. Lenord Spencer (’16) and Francisco Mediavilla (’16) finished with 12 and 11 rebounds, respectively. Mediavillla added 14 points while Anthony Cooper (’16) also put up 14.

The regional semifinal matchup against the Tigers will be Tuesday night at Jesuit High School (4701 N Himes Ave, Tampa, FL 33614). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Baseball**

The Knights opened up the 2016 season on Tuesday night with a 3-2 win at Steinbrenner, who came in at no. 4 in the Tampa Bay Times’ preseason rankings. Robinson followed up with a 3-2 win over Jefferson (0-2) on Thursday.

“We’ve just got to keep working,” head coach Kevin McCray said. “You’ve got to get better every time you step on the field.”

Michael Tini (’16) was Tuesday night’s winning pitcher, throwing five innings and giving up two runs (one earned). Riley Shackowsky (’17) got the save against Steinbrenner, pitching the final two innings.

Matthew Steckel (’16) gave up two unearned runs in five and two-thirds innings on Thursday, picking up a win in the first pitching appearance of his high school career. Luis Feliciano (’16) picked up the save, striking out two of the four batters he faced.

The Knights will host Spoto (1-1) on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Softball**

The Lady Knights had a rough start to the week, losing 14-0 Monday at Newsome and 11-1 Tuesday at Steinbrenner. They picked up their first win of the season on Thursday, a 12-2 win over Jefferson.

Robinson will host Spoto on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Boys Lacrosse**

The Knights opened up the season on Thursday with a 16-1 loss at Plant. Lorenzo Migliara (’19) scored Robinson’s lone goal of the game.

They will head to All Saints Academy on Saturday for their next game.

Girls Lacrosse**

Robinson opened up the season on Tuesday, falling 9-5 at Steinbrenner. They then dropped Thursday’s game at Plant by a score of 15-5.

Through two games, Alexa Keeler (’17) leads the way with seven goals while Carolina Cassedy (’18) has two.

The team’s next game is Saturday at All Saints Academy.

Boys Tennis**

Monday’s matches were cancelled due to Tampa Bay Tech not having a boys team, but Robinson came out with a 7-0 win over Jefferson on Thursday to improve to 3-0 on the year.

Girls Tennis**

Robinson cruised through the week again this week, earning a 7-0 victory over Tampa Bay Tech on Monday before getting another 7-0 win over Jefferson on Thursday.