Preview: Robinson, Jesuit Set to Meet in Regional Semis

Franscisco+Mediavilla+%2816%29+awaits+the+opportunity+to+grab+a+rebound.+Mediavilla+finished+with+14+points+and+11+rebounds+in+Thursdays+regional+quarterfinal+win+at+Sebring.+

Photo I. Hanewicz

Franscisco Mediavilla (’16) awaits the opportunity to grab a rebound. Mediavilla finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds in Thursday’s regional quarterfinal win at Sebring.

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

There are stakes, high stakes and then even higher stakes. Every time Robinson (17-9) and Jesuit (23-5) have met during the 2015-2016 basketball season, the stakes have risen to a new level.

The Tigers took the opening matchup on Robinson’s home court in December before the Knights responded in January with a win at Jesuit to clinch the top seed in the district tournament. The next meeting had even higher stakes: the district title. A tight game ended in a three-point Jesuit victory, earning the Tigers their fifth straight district championship.

After picking up victories in their respective regional quarterfinal matchups, the two teams are set to meet again in the regional semifinals.

Robinson will head to Tiger Palace on Tuesday for the third time this season.

This time, the winner advances to the regional final. The losing team will see its season end.

The stakes can’t get much higher than that.

Previous Meetings (2015-2016 season):

Dec. 1, 2015- Jesuit 65, Robinson 53

Jan. 22, 2016- Robinson 52, Jesuit 45

Feb. 5, 2016- Jesuit 64, Robinson 61

Team Leaders

Jesuit-

Points per game- Stephen Darst (16.0)

Rebounds per game- Ryan Fleming (5.7)

Assists per game- D.J. Snyder (4.1)

Robinson-

Points per game- Iyan Mitchell (16.0)

Rebounds per game- Francisco Mediavilla (8.8)

Assists per game- J.J Henderson (4.3)

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tiger Palace on the campus of Jesuit High School (4701 N Himes Ave, Tampa, FL 33614).