Mistakes cost Lady Knights in 60-45 loss to Plant

Photo Isabel Hanewicz

Kailah Henderson (’19) led the game in scoring with 19.

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

In their season opener, the Lady Knights basketball team couldn’t quite pull everything together to defeat the Plant Panthers (1-0).

Robinson (0-1) fell behind early in the first quarter 20-10, but outscored the Panthers 15-12 in the second quarter with help from Kaliah Henderson (’19), who tacked on eight points for the Knights. In the third quarter, the Knights cut it closer, outscoring Plant 15-14 and cutting the deficit to 46-40.

Plant shut down any hopes of a comeback win with help from Sydney Johnson (’18), who scored eight points, including five free throws, in the fourth. Free throws proved to be a weakness for the Knights, with the Panthers making 19 of 27 attempts and the Knights making only 6 of 12 while committing 18 fouls to the Panther’s 13.

“We need to bring it together ultimately,” Robinson head coach Stephanie Sweeney said. “It’s a tough way to start the season but I think we saw a lot of good things and have a bright future.”

Robinson’s Henderson led the game in scoring with 19 points, followed by Plant’s Johnson with 17. Despite that, Henderson was no where near satisfied with her performance.

“I think I personally played horrible, because I didn’t help my team. Because if I had helped my team the score would’ve been [better],” Henderson said. “I should’ve helped rebounds, every time I got the ball I should’ve did [sic] more with it not just sit around and be like lazy.”

Looking forward, the Lady Knights have their sights set on the first district title for Robinson since 2013 after a heartbreaking 47-46 loss to Spoto in the district title game last season.

“We’re going to win the district championship, and we’re going to go from there,” Sweeney said.

Robinson faces Sickles in its home opener Wednesday, Nov. 16 in a non-district matchup. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. in the Herman Valdes Gymnasium on the campus of Robinson High School (6311 S. Lois Ave, 33616).