Lady Knights beat Sickles 56-40 in home opener

Macy McClintock, Staff Writer

After losing to Plant 60-45 to start off the season, the Lady Knights (1-1) brushed off the defeat aside to beat Sickles (1-1) on Wednesday  56-40.

“We got our first game jitters out of the way,” head coach Stephanie Moore said. “We really started to come together as a unit and defensively we played a lot better.”

Off to a slow start, the Lady Knights quickly fell behind and were down 11-13 at the end of the first quarter. But they tightened up their defense and took back the lead to end the half 24-18.

In the second half, the Lady Knights widened the margin with a dynamic offense, giving the Lady Gryphons little chance to come back. Kaliah Henderson (’19) led the team in scoring with 23 points, including two three-pointers, followed by Christiana Rolack (’18) with 11 and Charlotte Tuohy (’17) with 10, including two threes.

“As a team we had the mindset that just because we lost that one game, it didn’t mean anything. This was our first game on our home court, everyone was ready,” Christiana Rolack (’18) said. “Before the game we had a talk that we had to be there for each other, we couldn’t get down over that one loss. We had the right mindset tonight, mentally we were there for each other.”

Looking to build on the win, the Lady Knights face the East Bay Indians this Friday, Nov. 18. Tip off is set for 7 p.m. at East Bay High School (7710 Old Big Bend Rd, Gibsonton, FL 33534).