Soccer: Lady Knights can’t hold off Plant in 6-0 shutout

Macy McClintock, Staff Writer

After a confidence-boosting win at Blake, 8-0, on Tuesday, the Lady Knights (3-6) were prepared for the challenge that is the Plant (5-0-2) in a non-district match Thursday. Despite a 6-0 shutout, the Knights walked away with a sense of accomplishment.

“The teams I pick to play throughout the season are the best teams in Hillsborough County. We’re not going to get better if we just play lower teams we’re going to scrape. It won’t help us,” Robinson head coach Billy Helms said.

“Tonight was the best I’ve seen these girls play and they actually played to their potential on which we brought them onto this team. Tonight they showed us the maturity and playing level we thought that they could play.”

Even with this elevated aggression, the Knights struggled to move the ball down the field. On defense, the proper coverage was there, but long balls over the heads of the back line caused issues for the Knights, who gave up six goals, including a hat trick for Plant’s Shannon Snyder (’19).

“I think we played well tonight with good intensity and good aggression, which we have lacked at times, but we picked it up tonight,” defender Sophie Bailey (’19) said. “We’ve come pretty far this season but need to keep improving the little things and take more shots.”

The Lady Knights face off against Middleton tonight at Middleton High School (4801 N 22nd St, Tampa, FL 33610). Kickoff is set for 8 p.m., following the boys’ game at 5.