Weekly Sports Recap: 2/27-3/4

Macy McClintock, Staff Writer

Baseball

After a devastating district loss to Jefferson last Thursday, the Knights clinched two district wins this week. On Tuesday, Feb. 28, the Knights defeated Middleton 10-0 and mercy-ruled Spoto 15-0 Thursday, Mar. 2. Riley Shackowsky (’17) took the mound for Tuesday’s game and Koby Fogg (’19) took the mound for Thursday’s.

“It felt good to get our first district wins,” Shackowsky said. “It’s always a competition between us and Jesuit to see who will get first and second in the district, so those games really mattered.”

In a matchup against King on Saturday, Mar. 4, the Knights claimed a 5-0 victory. Peter Feinman (’17) pitched and Joey Scionti (’17), Killian McCray (’17), Mathew Chowning (’17) and Luis Estevez (’17) scored runs.

The Knights face Jesuit on Tuesday, Mar. 7, at Jesuit High School (4701 N Himes Ave, Tampa, FL 33614).

Girls Lacrosse

The Lady Knights started this week with an 18-8 win over district match-up Jefferson on Tuesday, Feb. 27. After the success, they then ended the week with a 9-5 win over Tampa Catholic.

“It is really relieving to beat Tampa Catholic,” captain Carolina Cassedy (’18) said. “We were especially nervous for this game because they had beaten Berkeley, a district rival.”

The Lady Knights face Berkeley Prep in a district matchup on Thursday, Mar. 9, at Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).

Boys Lacrosse

The Knights started the week off on a high note with a 10-0 shutout over Jefferson on Tuesday, Feb. 27. But on Thursday, Mar. 2, the Knights lost 12-2 against Tampa Catholic.

“We had an off night against Tampa Catholic but we ran a good offense and got good looks, just couldn’t execute,” defender Steven Sargeant (’19) said. “(So far this season) we’ve improved with fundamentals, skills and communication on both sides of the field. Now we just have to keep up the good work and find ways to execute and get more wins.”

The Knights face Berkeley Prep on Thursday, Mar. 9, at Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).

Girls Track

Girls track competed in a quad meet against Leto, Steinbrenner and Plant at Steinbrenner High School on Monday, Feb. 27. As of press time, results were not yet available.

Select athletes competed in the Nash Higgins Relays, held Saturday, March 4 at Leto High School. Top finishes for the Knights are as follows: 4x200m relay, seventh in 1:54.91; 4x1600m relay, fifth in 24:59.64; 4x800m relay, seventh in 11:29.66; Melanie Armfield (’18), sixth in the long jump with a mark of 15-06.00; and Claire Casper (’17), sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 8-06.00.

The team’s next meet is at Jesuit High School (4701 N Himes Ave, Tampa, FL 33614) on Tuesday, March 7 against Jesuit, Academy of the Holy Names and Hillsborough.

Boys Track

Boys track competed in a quad meet against Leto, Steinbrenner and Plant at Steinbrenner High School on Monday, Feb. 27. As of press time, results were not yet available.

Select athletes competed in the Nash Higgins Relays, held Saturday, March 4 at Leto High School. Top finishes for the Knights are as follows: Caius Dixon (’19), fourth in the 400m dash with a 51.35; Maurice Tarver (’17), sixth in the 800m run with a 2:06.95; the 4x1600m relay, fourth in 20:38.44; and Almosse Titi (’18), fourth in the discus with a mark of 114-07.00.

Girls Tennis

The Lady Knights continued their undefeated season with two wins this past week. On Monday, Feb. 27, the Lady Knights beat Chamberlain by forfeit and then on Wednesday, Mar. 1, defeated Hillsborough 7-0.

“It feels really good (to be undefeated) but at the same time makes me nervous,” number five player Cat Liu (’19) said. “We haven’t gone up against any teams so far this year that were really challenging last year.”

The Lady Knights next face Strawberry Crest on Monday, Mar. 6.

Boys Tennis

The Knights beat Chamberlain by forfeit this Monday, Feb. 27, before their first loss of the season on Wednesday, Mar. 1, 4-3 to Hillsborough.

The Knights next face Strawberry Crest on Monday, Mar. 6.

Softball

The Lady Knights (6-1) mercy-ruled district opponents Middleton (0-6) and Spoto (0-6) this past Tuesday, Feb. 28, and Thursday, Mar. 2. They defeated Middleton 10-0 on Tuesday, before ending Thursday’s 16-0 matchup in just three innings. The Lady Knights then defeated King 16-1 on Saturday, Mar. 4.

The Lady Knights face Plant on Thursday, Mar. 9, at Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).

“We’re basically treating this game like a playoff game,” starting shortstop Alexis Smith (’19) said. “With us being successful so far this year, we are really confident and excited for this big game.”