Bad inning leads to 7-0 loss to Jesuit

Macy McClintock, Sports Editor

After dropping last year’s 6A-8 district final 3-2 to Jesuit, the Knights (4-3) were back with a vengeance this Tuesday, March 7. The Knights battled with the Tigers (5-1) for the first half of the game, but one bad inning led to a 7-0 loss.

“They (Jesuit) are a good team, and against a good team every mistake typically costs you,” head coach Kevin McCray said. “We controlled about four of those runs that Jesuit scored, if you take those away it’s a whole new ball game and a heck of a lot closer.”

Scott Rothschild (’17) started on the mound for the Knights and held the Tigers scoreless through the first two innings. The steady defensive start provided hope for the Knights, but the Tigers got on the board in the third inning and two fielding errors sparked a six run series in the fourth.

After the slip in the fourth inning, the Knights did not give up a run for the remainder of the game. Offensively, the bats did not show up as Joey Scionti (’17) and Peter Feinman (’17) were the only two to get on base. Jack Anderson (’18) claimed the win for the Tigers with seven strikeouts; Rothschild had two.

The Knights face Plant (5-1) this Thursday, March 9, at Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).

“If we control the things that we can control, we will be in every game,” McCray said. “We got to go out against Plant and play how we’re capable of playing.”