Soccer: Lady Knights fall to Plant 4-1 on senior night

Midfielder Jalyssa Richardson (’19) battles in her game against Plant on Jan. 16.

Paul Jennewein, Staff Writer

Coming off of a loss to Steinbrenner, the Robinson Lady Knights (5-10-1) faced the Plant Panthers (9-2-1) at home on Tuesday, Jan. 16, but lost 4-1. Though it was a frustrating game for the Knights, the score is deceiving.

“We played impassioned, we played for our seniors, and players are starting to get the system,” head coach Billy Helms said. “Overall I’m very happy with our performance, particularly in the second half.”

The Panthers jumped out to a 4-0 lead, where the score remained at the end of the first half.

“In the first half, we came out with the mindset that, this is Plant, and we lost control of the ball,” senior defender and captain Elisa Toghranegar said. “But I think in the second half we came out as a completely different team; we were passing, communicating and completely dominated.”

After celebrating the departing seniors, Toghranegar and Delaney Neville at half time, the Knights held Plant scoreless for the rest of the game.

Midway through the second half, the Knights caught a break when midfielder Jalyssa Richardson (’19) launched a deep shot into the back of the net.

“That’s the second point we’ve scored on Plant in nine years since I’ve been here,” Helms said. “I’m just happy about the seniors having a good second half; we were on Plant’s half the whole time and we really controlled the ball.”

The Knights will face the Newsome wolves (17-0) on Jan. 18 at 6 P.M. at Newsome High School (16550 Fishhawk Blvd., 33547).