Baseball falls 7-0 in South Tampa rivalry against Plant

Photo M. McClintock

Closing pitcher Paul Jennewein (’20) winds up to pitch against Plant on Tuesday, Feb. 20.

Macy McClintock, Managing Editor

Last season, the Knights fell 3-2 to the Panthers. The year before that, they lost 6-5. But this Tuesday, Feb. 20, in the first game of the season, the Knights weren’t able to keep up like they had in the past, taking the shut out 7-0.

“Plant is as strong as they’ve ever been; they have a ridiculously strong club this year. I just wanted us to come out and play solid on the parts we can control,” Head Coach Kevin McCray said. “I’m not upset with the way we played. You’re opening up with one of the best teams in the area and we, for the most part, made them earn what they got.”

It was a non-productive night on the offensive side for Robinson, with two hits to the Panthers’ eight. But defensively-speaking, the Knights only gave up one error.

“They [Plant] are a tough team, we came out and held them 3-0 for a little bit,” said Andrew McMillan (’18), who broke Plant’s no-hitter with the first base hit. “We made a few errors, it got away from us.”

Kobe Fogg (’19), started on the mound for Robinson, lasting three innings. He threw two strikeouts and gave up three runs. Paul Jennewein (’20) then pitched the remainder of the game, giving up four runs.

The Knights face off against Newsome in their home opener on Thursday, Feb. 22, at Robinson High School (6311 S. Lois Ave., 33616).