Three favorites and a miracle advance to the Final Four

Paul Jennewein, Staff Writer

This year’s NCAA tournament has been unpredictable. But now, only four teams remain, each looking to cap off their impressive seasons with a national championship.

Loyola-Chicago 

Since the first NCAA basketball tournament in 1939, only three 11 seeds have ever advanced to the final four: LSU in 1986, George Mason in 2006, and VCU in 2011. None advanced to the championship game. This year, Loyola-Chicago joins the group hoping to reverse the trend by defeating a red hot Michigan squad. The Ramblers will use their quick ball movement and unselfish style of play to extend their season.

Michigan 

Michigan’s team this year is defined by their tough defense and reliance on the three point shot– a shot that, thus far, has gone in at a remarkable rate. Led by redshirt sophomore Charles Matthews, the Wolverines will look to get into a rhythm with a good start to open up tonight’s game. A three seed with the clearest path to the championship game, Michigan will look to stifle Loyola-Chicago’s offense with a suffocating defensive attack.

Villanova 

Villanova is definitely the fan-favorite to win the national championship this year. With an solid offensive arsenal, the Wildcats won the Big East regular season and tournament titles, finishing second in the nation behind the Virginia Cavaliers. Villanova has made the journey to the final four look easy, sweeping Radford, Alabama, West Virginia, and Texas Tech by unprecedented margins.

Kansas

Kansas, like Villanova, is a one seed who relies on a fast-paced style of play and a steady barrage of three pointers to take down the opposition. Led by senior guard Devonte’ Graham, this Kansas team is defined by its skill and athletic ability. With a Big 12 tournament title already under its belt, Kansas looks to add a national championship appearance to its long post-season history.