Lack of offense leads to 1-0 loss to Sickles

Photo M. McClintock

Andrew McMillan (’18) heads to first base after a walk against Sickles on Thursday, April 26.

Macy McClintock, Managing Editor

On Thursday, April 26, the Knights (12-10) fell to Sickles (19-4) 1-0 on senior night.

The seven Robinson seniors were honored prior to the start of the game, with the announcer reading a short biography of their time on the baseball team and their plans for the future. When asked to describe their favorite memory on the team, every player mentioned the recent win against Jesuit as their favorite memory.

But with the victory still fresh in their minds, they were unable to swing the bats against Sickles, falling 1-0.

“Their pitcher is very good, we had some opportunities early. You normally don’t get lots of opportunity against that type of pitcher,” head coach Kevin McCray said. “You got to capitalize when you can, and we didn’t.”

Neither team was productive on offense throughout the night, with the Gryphons ending the game with a total of four hits the to the Knights’ three.

Sickles scored on an error in the third inning, but both teams were scoreless after that. The Knights had multiple chances to tie the game, loading the bases in the fourth before a double play ended the inning.

“Other than the hits we got, I feel like we should have hit [the pitcher] a little better towards the end of the game,” said centerfielder Chase Volpi (’18), who finished the night with a single. “In the end he’s a good pitcher and we just couldn’t get the job done when we needed to.”

Defensively, Michael Swanson (’19) pitched a complete five innings, giving up one run and taking the loss, with Paul Jennewein (’20) closing out the game.

The Knights will graduate seven seniors: Austin Glaskow, Jake Granese, Andrew McMillan, Andrew Watts, Evan Watts and Chase Volpi, and team manager Tahj Phillips.

“It sucks we [that] we couldn’t get a win on senior night,” Mikey Swanson (’19) said. “It’s what happens during the post season that defines success and I believe we have what it takes to go further than everyone expects us to.”

The Knights head into the district tournament on Tuesday, May 2, at Jefferson High School (4401 W. Cypress St., 33607).