Girls tennis progresses to state championship

Photo Amelia Foster

Alara Hollyfield (’18) serves the ball during the regional match.

Amelia Foster, Staff Writer

Robinson’s girls tennis team will advance to the state championship for the third year in a row after beating McKeel Academy 5-2 this past Thursday, April 26 at the Class 2A Region 3 Championship.

A star moment of the game was the match with Alara Hollyfield (’18) against Hannah Hogg of McKeel Academy. Their match lasted 90 minutes, the longest of the game, with Hollyfield winning 6-2.

“There were definitely moments where I was more tense but I still believed in myself,” Hollyfield said.

The girls tennis team has held the district and regional title for the past three years and have  gone to states for the past two. Hollyfield will go on to compete in the number one singles category, and Hollyfield and Elliott Peterson (’19) will compete in the number one doubles category. As of now, Hollyfield is ranked 16 in the state and is number one on the team.

“To be number one it means you’ve worked the hardest, you’ve got the most skill, you practice the most, you give 100 percent,” said head girls coach Maureen Pelamati.

To win a tennis game, Robinson must win at least four out of seven matches, five singles and two doubles. The regional match lasted four hours, longer than the average game.

“I always try and stay consistent in my playing, I try to keep my feet moving at all times,” said Peterson, who beat her opponent 6-1.

Hollyfield and Peterson have both played for Robinson tennis since freshman year. They’re ranked number one and two respectively.

“I wanted to play well and I wanted the team to play well,”Hollyfield said. “I’m ready for the next game.”

The state championship will be held on May 2 in Orlando.

“Knowing that they’re in it together as a team makes victory just that sweeter,” Pelamati said. “I like to call them the fabulous five. They’re just unstoppable.”