Fall sports preview

The 2017 boys cross country team races to the finish line.

Macy McClintock, Sports Editor

With the first full week of school in the books, here are my top picks on who to look out for during the fall sports season.

Golf:

With only one returner this season, the girls’ golf team has a significant amount of rebuilding to do. The lone wolf, Emersyn Brown (’20), will be the one leading the team this year. On the boys’ side, Christian Bulnes (’20) and Matt Montoya (’19) both have the strongest shots that will take the boys’ team far.

Swim:

After arguably the team’s best swimmer, Max Smith (’20), transferred to Plant for this school year, the Robinson swim team will have to take this year to rebuild. Although a team isn’t defined by just one athlete, Smith placed 14th in the 100 m backstroke at the FHSAA State Tournament his freshman year and 11th in the 100 m backstroke and seventh in the 200 individual medley his sophomore year. But the team is gaining a freshman powerhouse: Reese Hawkins. He will be a huge component to the team this year. For the girls team, captain Sophie Abel (’19) is the one to watch for, specifically in the 100 backstroke.

Football:

With Craig Everhart taking over the head coaching position, the football team is in route to beating their 3-5 record from last year. Although the team lost valuable defenders, such as Charlie Meech (’18) and Chase Volpi (’18), Kobe Copple (’19) will be returning as starting quarterback for the second year, along with a dominant offensive line. I’m calling that the team wins at least five games this year. The top players to keep an eye on are Christopher Rolack (’19), who in my opinion may be one of the best corners in the state, Quinton Lane (’19), a quick wide receiver with great hands and Cameron Lockridge (’19), who although has had anger issues, is a great wide receiver who really helps improve the team.

Volleyball:

I think this year may be the year for Robinson. For the past four years now, the volleyball team has lost to Bishop Moore in the State Semifinals. But with coach Ashley “AJ” Johnson now going into her second year and the team’s two best hitters returning, this is going to be a great season. Captain and outside hitter Kristin Werdine (’19) and outside hitter Mila (LAST NAME) (’21) will be sure to put points on the board and libero Emily Kemp (’20) and setter Lauren Johnson (’19) are two all-around athletes who will be big assets to the team as well.

Cross Country:

Sophia Crassas (’20) is returning after time off due to an injury and she is sure to lead the girls’ team this year. Ethan Geiger (’20) placed eighth at states last year and will lead the boys to another successful season this year.