Knights fall to Plant 40-6 in South Tampa rivalry

Photo M. MClintock

Jo Jo Muffoletto (’19) helps sack Plant’s quarterback in the South Tampa matchup last Friday.

Macy McClintock, Sports Editor

In 2004, the Knights reigned in South Tampa by beating Plant 19-10. Since then, Robinson (1-1) has consistently stayed on the losing side in the rival matchup. That proved true yet again on Friday, August 31, when the Knights fell 40-6.

“This is a rival game, our guys were fired up,” Head coach Craig Everhart said.”There was no quit, great effort all the way through against a very good 7A team.”

The Knights came out strong, with quarterback Kobe Copple (’19) claiming a big first down on the first offensive drive. An interception for wide receiver Cameron Lockridge (’19) opened the window for a big run into the end zone from Copple.

Robinson quickly lost momentum in the second quarter, entering halftime trailing 26-6.

The Knights had several drives where they turned the ball over on the goal line, but could only drive in for a touchdown once.

A series of injuries held the Knights back, including an ambulance ride for Lockridge due to dehydration.

“The injuries do take a toll on the team considering we have a couple starters out right now,” starting wide receiver and safety Quinton Lane (’19) said. “Despite the injuries, we’re still a good football team.”

Plant, a 7A team, has over 100 players on their roster according to Maxpreps, as Robinson, a 5A team, has 60.

“That level of competition [Plant] is great for them and a great way for them to learn how to bounce back and keep fighting no matter what,” Everhart said. “It’s still early in the season and we’re just going to keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

The Knights face East Bay next Friday, September 7, at East Bay High School (7710 Old Big Bend Rd, 33534).

“We just have to not have a short memory and dwell on the loss,” Lane said. “We have to focus on winning our next game and putting more points on the board.”