Knights defeat panthers 27-6

Robinson flag football wins 27-6 in their rivalry game against Plant

Receiver Emily Kemp (’20) attempts to make an interception

Morgan Brazier, Managing Editor

Robinsons flag football team played their longtime rival Plant High School on Wednesday night, winning by 21 points with a final score of 27-6. This is the varsity teams 16th consecutive win against Plant and the J.V. teams seventh with a score of 25-0.

The Knights started off slow, not scoring a touchdown until their second turnover when inside receiver Emily Kemp (’20) scored the first touchdown and extra point of the game. Plant followed closely, scoring a touchdown in the second quarter but missing the extra point.

“At times we played really well, we were down towards the end zone twice maybe three times without scoring and that’s not acceptable,” Head coach Joshua Saunders said. “A lot of good things but certainly not perfect.”

During the third quarter the Knights’ rusher, Chelsey Campbell (’19) collided with the Plant quarterback, injuring her forehead and pulling her out of the game. Campbell should be cleared to play in about two weeks. This is the third rusher for the Knights to suffer a facial injury this year.

“Chelsey Campbell played phenomenal on defense…defensively she was the key,” Saunders said.

With a minute left in the game, outside receiver Alexis Smith (’19) scored a touchdown increasing the Knights’ lead to 21 points. The 20 point mercy rule ended the game two minutes early and Robinson won with a final score of 27-6.

Robinson is now looking towards the rest of their season, which, according to head coach Joshua Saunders, only gets harder from here.

“We haven’t played our best game yet and we need to start pretty soon because the games get harder as the season goes on not easier,” Saunders said.

The Knights face off against Gaither Friday, March 29, at Robinson High School (6311 S Lois Ave, 33616).