Robinson rallies against Freedom 40-10, looks toward Gibbs

District pushes back game against Freedom in concern for lack of preparation

Via Godinez, Staff Writer

Two games in one week is a rarity, but it’s not impossible. With last weeks hurricane scare, the district pushed last Friday’s game against Freedom High School to Monday, Sept. 9.

“We didn’t have school on Tuesday, and I guess the school district thought we needed more preparation time – which we got on the Monday game,” Craig Everhart, the head football coach and IB Biology teacher said. “However, Friday we play again against a team from out of the county [Gibbs] that played last Friday, that has extra time to prepare for us.”

Everhart wanted to prepare the team as best he could, knowing two games in one week would have positive and negative effects on the players. Given the fact that their defense at Alonso’s game gave out in the 4th quarter, Everhart claimed they would be doing things different for Mondays game.

“We’ve already gone through some adversity. It’s just another opportunity to respond to adversity. It’ll make us stronger and closer…we have a tremendous opportunity in one week to completely right the ship and change the story line of our season,” Everhart said.

Both coaches and players were concerned with the teams offense and defense. Max Aiello (’21) was unsure of the defenses ability to get the wide receivers on Freedom’s offense, but he is still confident in his team ability.

“I am not nervous for the game because freedom high school has lost by a large number of thirty or more,” Aiello Said.

Everhart expected his seniors to step up for this game including running back Clayton Lee (’20).

“This is the game where the seniors take ownership of the team.” Everhart said.

That’s exactly what they did. With a score of 40-10, Robinson took home the win. The Knights play Gibbs on Friday, Sept. 13 at Jack Peters Field 6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616.