Robinson triumphs in Break the Silence game

Robinson’s boys basketball team defeated Spoto 75-60 last Friday

Photo Jack Kirk

Dexter Caldwell (’20) and Treyshawn Howard (’22) chase down a Spoto player driving to the basket.

Jack Kirk, Sports Editor

On a night where Robinson looked to raise awareness for domestic violence victims, the Robinson boys basketball team defeated the Spoto Spartans 75-60.

To learn more about the cause that the Break the Silence game was highlighting, click here.

Robinson held control for most of the game, outscoring the Spartans in each of the last three quarters after only trailing by one point at the end of the first quarter.

The team did not rely on one person taking over the game, with four of the players scoring 12 points or more. Joseph Strickland (’20) and Treyshawn Howard (’22) both lead the team with 16 points each.

“It was a great win for us, we did a really good job,” coach Steve Smith said. “I’m proud of our kids.”

The environment that the event produced had an effect on the game, with the crowd exploding after the Knights scored their ninth point.

“[The players] were very excited, the crowd was great, the fans were super, ” coach Smith said. “It’s a great atmosphere, lotta fun.”

This victory put the Knights at a record of 7-8, which gave them a clear goal to reach for the next game.

“We’re trying to get to 500,” Smith said. “We have a big game next week, Jefferson and Jesuit”.

Robinson played Jefferson on January 21, beating them 54-50. This puts their record at 8-8 going into their game the next night against Jesuit. This game will take place at Robinson High School on January 22 at 7:00 p.m. (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).