Update on 2020 spring sports

After first suspending the spring sports seasons, the state of Florida has decided to cancel the seasons for 2020.

Julia+Garcia+%2820%29+stands+at+shortstop%2C+waiting+for+the+next+batter.+

Julia Garcia (’20) stands at shortstop, waiting for the next batter.

Jack Kirk, Sports Editor

It was previously reported that the FHSAA had chosen to suspend spring sports due to the global pandemic that has students taking the remainder of their classes online. That ruling has been changed due to the progressing state of the nation’s fight against COVID-19.

After the decision by Florida governor Ron DeSantis to have all schools remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year, the FHSAA followed suit by announcing that spring sports would be canceled for the 2020 season. This decision came on April 20, the same day as the governor’s announcement.

Along with the seasons being canceled, the FHSAA also made it’s ruling on if additional eligibility would be granted to the athletes who are losing out on a season of their high school sports. These athletes will not have additional eligibility for these sports. Before the seasons were canceled, the FHSAA was looking into the possibility of granting these athletes additional eligibility, but the current state of the pandemic does not currently allow that.

As the situation around the pandemic is changing by the day, updates about the next school year and the fall sports will be coming out as the FSHAA and state of Florida get more information. There are no indications that next school year will be different as it stands right now, but if anything changes updates will come at https://www.fhsaa.org/