Preview: Girls soccer takes on Blake to advance to district finals

The girls soccer teams fight for a spot in the district finals

Photo Anna Woodward

During a water break, the team huddles to discuss their next play.

Zoe Thaxton, Staff Writer

The Robinson Knights Girls Soccer team takes on the Blake Yellow Jackets on Friday, Feb. 5 at 7pm to move on to the District Finals.

Robinson’s record is 5-9-1 (with their league record of 4-0-1) In comparison, Blake has a record of 5-7 (with their league record of 2-3) While Blake and Robinson have won the same amount of games and Robinson has lost more games, Robinson has played more games and has a better district record. They also played Blake early in the season and won 6-2.

“Blake has always been in our district… so yes, we have played them many, many times before,” senior captain Sara Arroyave said. “They compete hard, and it’s a fun game.”

Despite always playing Blake in districts, Robinson hadn’t always been in this district. Florida High School Athletic Association, FSHAA, reorganized some districts and regions. This put Robinson against some teams they don’t usually play, but the team is up for the challenge.

“I’m predicting dubs throughout all of our district games this year even though this is our first year playing a different set of teams…” Arroyave added.

The season hasn’t been perfect for the team. Both Arroyave and senior captain Bella Dolce noted that it was full of “ups and downs.” The team started with many new and lower classmen players, so the dynamic wasn’t as strong as a team that has been together for two to three years already. Also, they started the season with many starters out due to COVID. As the season continued on, the team “became united and [we] started to play as a team…” Dolce noted.

“Even though we had some losses this year, we all learned from our mistakes and incorporate those into our next game,” Dolce continued.

The team has prepared and worked hard all seasons to make it to this point. Coach Volpi, the head coach, trained the girls to this point. Drill after drill, they strengthened their sets for plays. They even rewatched previous games to work on mistakes and become better.

“I believe our team is prepared and ready for districts, and we will put all our effort on the field like it’s our last game,” Dolce said.