Preview: 2022 Break the Silence Basketball Game

The annual Break the Silence game to be held on Jan. 21, 2022.

Photo RHSToday File Photo

The Break The Silence committee gets everyone ready for the 9th point during the 2020 game.

Allie Barton, Social Media Editor

Robinson’s annual Break the Silence basketball game will take at Robinson High School on Jan. 21. The movement began eight years ago at Robinson and has become a school tradition.

The game works to raise awareness of domestic violence, which is also regularly a “silent crime” because so few cases are reported. Fans will keep silent until the ninth point, to account for the every nine seconds a woman in the U.S. experienced domestic violence, is scored, at which they will “break” the silence and begin to cheer.

“I took over from Katie Kemp, so I am basically in charge of everything. But I couldn’t do it without all the help of my volunteers,” Casey Ingram (’22) said, discussing her role for this season’s game.

Ingram explains the event and how the Break the Silence game was set up this year and years ago. “The event was created for a former students Girl Scout gold award project… Partnerships organize it with the crisis center of Tampa Bay and the spring. The event could not happen without the amazing sponsors. I am so grateful to the Junior Civitan Club, SGA, Knightmare, and the RHS foundation. It’s important for people to come to the game to raise awareness for the victims of domestic violence and shed light on a difficult issue that plagues way more people than one would think.”

“I think it’s really important for everyone to come out because first of all, it shows support for the school and for people who are victims of domestic violence… The tickets go towards helping victims of domestic violence. I also think it’s important to come to support our basketball team,” Ava Hogan (’22) shared.

Hogan has also helped Ingram set up the event. “Today [Jan. 20] at lunch, I’m helping make posters for the game and there is going to be a lot of decorating in the gym today and tomorrow. I’m really excited to have everybody come out… the past years I’ve done it, it was super successful and super fun for everybody.”

The game will take place during the boys basketball game against Brandon High School, starting at 8 p.m.

Click the attached link to purchase tickets.