Girls’ Lacrosse 2022 Season Recap

The girls lacrosse season comes to a close with a record of 7-6.

Hunter+Patterson+%2822%29+walking+back+across+the+field+after+a+play.+

Photo Sara Lockhart

Hunter Patterson (’22) walking back across the field after a play.

JC Thaxton, Staff Writer

The girls’ lacrosse team ends the season with a loss to Berkeley Prep in the district game. Before this, the Knights had a winning streak of five and then a loss to Newsome. Last season, the Knights lost to Berkeley Prep in the playoffs as well.

This year the girls found success through teamwork. Teamwork brought them together and helped them grow as a team. This season, the girls’ lacrosse team had four captains to help lead the team: Issa Allbritton (’23) and Seniors Kela Watts, Avery O’Dell and Grace Krantzburg. 

The way the seniors were a big impact is that if any of the younger players needed anything, they were always the ones to give a hand. For example, say another player needed a ride to practice or a game. They were always the ones to give us a ride,” said Sophomore Defender Penelope Habitzreuther.

There have been some major changes to this team like losing their head coach and having their assistant coach step in. Having changes like this led to different expectations of what would actually happen for the team. It could be the difference in winning a tough game.

“My expectations this season were to play hard every game and hopefully win our district. Unfortunately, we fell [short] to Berkeley in the district semifinals, but I’m still proud of how far we have come this season and how hard everyone worked.”

Ending a season is hard, but there is nothing harder than seniors realizing they are playing some of their last games as a team. Some just started playing this year, but others have been playing a while. On top of that, some will go off to college to play while others end their lacrosse career here.

“[The ending of this season] was definitely bitter-sweet. I have loved being part of the Robinson girls’ lacrosse team and will always be thankful for my teammates and coaches that have helped me along the way.” Watts has been playing this sport for a long time now and will continue her lacrosse career at Swarthmore College. She continues by saying, “Playing high school lacrosse has made me who I am today, although, I am ready to move on and [ready] for a change. I look forward to having new opportunities to play with people from all over the country in college,” Watts said.