Swim Team Speeds Past Plant

The Robinson Knights beat the Plant Panthers at their first swim meet of the school year. 

Photo Ashlyn Miller

Hailey Irvan (’25) consults her coach about her races for the meet.

Ashlyn Miller, Staff Writer

The Robinson swim team sets the tone for another successful season with a win against Plant High School at their first swim meet of the year.

Hailey Irvan (’25) says the most challenging part of the meet was the 200 free swim, which requires her to swim across the pool four times without stopping.

“That was super hard for me because my swim cap kept gliding off, which made me lose focus and slow down,” Irvan said.

Since Robinson’s swim team is much smaller than Plant’s, swimmers typically have to compete in more events than they planned to. While official rosters are released before the meet, sometimes there can be injuries that would make a competitor unable to swim. Emery Tindoll (’25) swam in the 200 medley relay, the 100 free and then the 400 free relay, all back to back because another swimmer injured her ankle during the meet.

“The most challenging part for me was not having any rest in between events. It gets tiring but you have to push through,” Tindoll said.

These athletic complications make it harder for swimmers to do their best for each race, but the team hopes to grow because of their practice with these challenges.

“I’d like to drop to a sub-minute in my 100 freestyle for the next meet,” Tindoll said.

Despite Plant having a bigger team, the Knights still came out on top in the end. The swim team will be competing in the Swim City Relay at the Bobby Hicks pool on Friday, Sept. 10.

“I’m excited for the next meet because while the meets are hard, I love the team environment and I love the sport,” Tindoll said.