The student news site of Robinson High School

Knight Writers

• Feb. 16 is a Non-Student Day
  • Spring Break is Mar. 11-15.

Knight Writers

Knight Writers

Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
POLL

Does Taylor Swift deserve the hype?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

All Kinds Of Talent Push The Wrestling Team Forward

Hype amplifies as another wrestling season approaches.
Photo Ashlyn Miller
Kassim Johnson (’25) pushes over his opponent during the Alonso vs. Robinson duel.

As the preseason morphs to true and trying practice, RHS wrestlers have been training vigorously for this year’s tournaments, duels and scrambles. Although practice started on the Oct. 24, the preseason had preceded as far back as February.

“I was [practicing during the preseason], we practiced at a local Spanish church. We dragged the mats out every time we practiced. It was very labor-intensive; it was worth it,” said Quenten Erikson (’25), a second-year wrestler. “[I’m excited most for] winning at tournaments, getting trophies and getting recognized. I really love to win, it’s very fulfilling.” 

Jacoba Boskers (’25), one of the new wrestlers this season, has emphasized how excited she is to partake in this sport for the first time.

I wanted to do a contact sport and I thought, let me do wrestling…we get to lift every morning, which is so much fun.” Boskers said. “It’s one of, if not, the hardest sports I’ve done; I think it’ll allow me to get a lot better stamina and cardio for volleyball.” 

Along with the influx of first-time wrestlers, there are a handful of new coaches. The team now has a staggering 9 coaches, including TJ Montero. Being a former wrestler at Robinson, Montero is hoping to bring the same success he had as a wrestler to today’s team.

I did wrestle from freshman year through senior year…I left here with 150 wins.” Montero said. “I’m excited to see the new potential. Seeing who has the skill and everything.”

With the first tournament planned to be in late November, the team is excited for the possibility that exceeds with the talent, new and old, novice and experienced.

“I’m very excited [for the wrestling season],” Boskers said. “It’s going to go very well.”