Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Robinson Knights’ Annual Break the Silence Game

Robinson Knights battle against Wharton Wildcats
The+Robinson+student+section+breaks+the+silence+as+the+ninth+point+is+scored.+
Photo Araya Stearns
The Robinson student section breaks the silence as the ninth point is scored.

On Friday, Jan. 19, Robinson hosted their seventh annual Break the Silence basketball game against Wharton. The Robinson student section, decked out in purple, were hused into silence by the bundle of Knightmare members at the front of the crowd.

The evening began with the girls’ game at 6:30 p.m. which had everyone on the edge of their seats. The Wharton Wildcats were predicted to sweep because of their 18-1 record, but the Knights didn’t let them win without a fight. The game ended with a close loss of 38-41.

Knightmare Club gave out free Break the Silence shirts at 7:15 p.m. and ran out quickly. Knightmare President Mina Kuklen (’24) began the evening with a speech and introduced the Break the Silence spokesperson to explain the cause further.

“Not many people know about the global issues of domestic violence and how this problem has created issues in others’ lives. It is important to share these stories [with] people who are unaware because it allows more students to be engaged with supporting this cause,” Kuklen said.

Following the presentation, Ella Garruto (’24) and John Joura (’27) performed the national anthem on violin. The boys warmed up and the game began at 8 p.m.

The Knights had a tough start and only scored an underwhelming six points in the first period. But by the second period Dylan Russell (’24) scored the ninth point and the crowd went wild. People through streamers and held up signs filling the room with overwhelming school spirit. The Knights picked up the pace but it wasn’t enough. The game ended with another loss for Robinson 35-70.