Robinson’s Latin Club hosts the Regional Latin Forum

Robinson’s Latin club took home the first place trophy for the 8th year in a row

Photo Hanna Malone

Coby Arnold (’21), Nate Jennewein (’23), Casey Kemp (’23) and not pictured Maya Roush (’23), win 1st place in the certamen quiz game.

Hanna Malone, Staff Writer

Early in the morning on Saturday, Feb. 1, Robinson’s Latin club met in the auditorium with clubs from eleven other schools to participate in the Regional Latin Forum. This competition determined if they qualified for states. For the eighth consecutive year, Robinson High School won the first place overall trophy, which includes all academic and creative score totals.

For the competition, each member was assigned a topic and required to take a scantron test in that topic. Topics included mythology, classical art, Latin mottoes, Latin literature, Greek history, Greek derivatives, ancient geography and more. Each assessment averaged around 50 questions, with about an hour on the clock to complete it. In academic testing, Robinson integrally placed second.

The Robinson team also competed in the creative projects category, winning first place altogether. Students submitted artistic creations such as textiles, posters, drawings, sculptures, mosaics, maps, illustrated notebooks and many others to be judged in the cafeteria.

In building 22, the new language building, events like oral speeches and  costume compettions took place. Certamen, a quiz-bowl game where trivial questions were asked, was also popular among competitors. The first person who could hit the buzzer with an answer received a point. The Latin 2 team took home first for the quiz team, while the Latin 1 and Latin 2 Advanced teams both placed 4th.