Starting a new chapter: congratulations to the class of 2020 commits

Where are these student athletes headed next?

Head captain Brooke Volpi (’20) walks the soccer field and is welcomed by her team.

Hanna Malone, Staff Writer

With the end of the 2019-2020 school year closing in, a few members of the senior class have committed to play sports in college. Here is what they have to say before they begin this next chapter in their athletic careers:

Kaitlyn Patterson – Lacrosse commit

Patterson has played lacrosse for Robinson since her sophomore year as both a mid-fielder and a defenseman. She has committed to Webber International University in Babson Park, Florida. The school’s lacrosse program is brand new, so she will be among the first to play on the team.

“When going into this new chapter, I look forward to being a part of history at Webber because this will be their first ever lacrosse season,” Patterson said. “Having the chance to just everyone in our division who we are is something I really look forward to.”

Ethan Geiger – Cross-country/track commit

Geiger has ran for Robinson’s track and cross-country team for the entirety of his high school career, and established himself as a state championship winner in 2019.He has committed to the University of Florida in Gainesville.

“I’m very excited to start this new chapter of my life because I will be surrounded by a new group of people that will be working every day for the same goals that I strive to achieve,” Geiger said.

Brooke Volpi – Soccer commit

The day mid-fielder Brooke Volpi committed to Elon University in North Carolina was huge for her.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that the day I committed was the best day of my life,” Volpi said. “I dreamed about playing in college since I can remember, so to actually be able to accomplish that and play D1 was a pretty surreal moment.”

Volpi readily awaits meeting her new team at Elon and growing together.

“I’m most looking forward to meeting all my new teammates and getting to know the coaches,” Volpi said. “Team chemistry is a huge thing for me, and one of the things I loved about Elon soccer was how close the team was. I just can’t wait to be apart of it.”

Trey Furlong – Football commit

With 14 years of football under his belt, Furlong has committed to the Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, Tennessee. He credits personal dedication and the support of the Robinson body as a large factor in his athletic success.

“Robinson has prepared me,” Furlong said. “I left freshman year and came back as a junior and it was a great decision. I’ve been pushed by my friends, coaches and staff from RHS, and overall it was a phenomenal experience and I can’t express how grateful I am to have the support I’ve gotten.”

Steven Verdisco – Football commit

On top of playing soccer, Verdisco played as a kicker, strong safety and free safety on the football team during his time at Robinson. In the fall of 2019, he committed to the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia as a kicker. In December, after working hard to do so, he was given the opportunity to graduate high school early and start the new semester in January as a college student at Georgia Tech.

“Once I got to GT in January, I immediately realized that it was a completely different level both athletically and academically,” Verdisco said. “The life of a student athlete at GT is very different from the normal student’s life; we get a lot of benefits such as state of the art facilities, tutors, and good food, but we are also up four or even five hours before the first classes and have hardly any free time at all to participate in normal college life.”