AI Impacts Our Lives Better than Human Intelligence

AI isn’t “taking over” but benefiting society more than human intelligence.

Digital+photo+created+on+Canva+of+a+robotic+hand+holding+a+phone+asking+AI+to+write+it+an+essay.+

Photo Yesenia Rosario

Digital photo created on Canva of a robotic hand holding a phone asking AI to write it an essay.

Yesenia Rosario, Staff Writer

As time progresses, technology, specifically artificial intelligence, is constantly progressing and changing. Although some people think that compared to human intellect, artificial intelligence is not as valuable to society, AI is helpful to society in many ways, such as aiding people and businesses, advancing the medical field and minimizing errors. 

While AI may appear unfamiliar and new to certain individuals, we are constantly benefiting from its every day use. Beyond the stereotypical chatbot, AI is employed in everyday apps like Google Maps, Face ID, Grammar Checks (i.e. Grammarly), social networking, and much more.

The growing use of apps like Chat GPT and the recently released SnapChat “My AI” raises some serious concerns about AI. Many teachers and administrators are concerned about the use of AI in the classroom because students are among the platforms’ biggest users. The benefits of AI for both teachers and students alike, however, aren’t really taken into account too often.

Students and teachers can utilize AI for many things. If you have the right intentions, and don’t use AI as a source to plagiarize from, it can be a helpful resource. A few examples are:

• Help with a math problem when a teacher isn’t available.
  • Running an essay through to check for errors and help with any question ever.
  • Rewording an answer.
  • Teachers also benefit as they’re able to save so much time to do more productive tasks.

Even though they are referring to businesses, this also applies to teachers. Similar to businesses, they might use AI to free up crucial time for other tasks like creating new lesson plans or grading papers. Even the Department of Education has acknowledged the development of AI and highlighted its support in a statement.

“Artificial Intelligence, machine learning and related technologies will have powerful impacts on learning not only through direct supports for students but also by empowering educators to be more adaptive to learner needs and less consumed by routine, repetitive tasks. There is little question that we need innovative approaches in education and that AI will be a major new capability that allows innovation. Simply put, we will be able to do things that we have never done before!,” a statement released by the Office of Educational Technology

Other excellent advantages of AI technology include progression and automation within the medical field. Although human intelligence is strong and has contributed to numerous medical discoveries and breakthroughs, the advances made by AI are pretty comparable if not more beneficial than to those made by the human mind.

The benefits of medical progressions are it saves patients money and nurses time as the article states “…helping doctors and nurses diagnose and treat patients without requiring an expensive or time-consuming hospital visit.”

Automation is used every day and is helpful to many. Receiving appointment reminders or receiving receipts through text is all automation. While some may find it a disturbance during the day, it helps many with those reminders that many tend to forget. 

“Businesses use automation to stay connected with new and returning customers through auto-reply emails, appointment reminders, and feedback surveys,” WGU said.

AI is viewed as a threat to some because of its power and ability. It is capable of deducing a person’s interests based on their social media and searches and adapting their feed to align with their interests which many people feel is a violation of privacy. Even though I can understand the fears about AI, it will ultimately be more beneficial than detrimental. AI is so ingrained in our daily lives that many people ignore or take artificial intelligence’s advantages over human intellect for granted. People should be thrilled about how AI may further assist us rather than feeling intimidated by its potential.