Robinson basketball star commits to play college

Junior Robinson basketball player verbally commits to a college in Philidelphia.

Photo s. verdisco

Kaliah Henderson (’18) leads her team up the court during an intense 2016-2017 season game.

Morgan Brazier, Staff Writer

The Robinson girls basketball point guard Kaliah Henderson (’18) has received a very intriguing opportunity as she enters her second season with the Lady Knights. St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, a Division 1 program, has offered to sign Henderson as a part of their 2019 recruiting class.

However, because Henderson is not yet a senior she can’t officially sign with St. Josephs.

“It was just a verbal commitment… so that means my offer is held,” Henderson said. “I have to wait until my senior year to sign.”

Henderson was seen at Robinson’s regional semi-finals home game last school year by a scout from St. Joseph’s.

According to Stephanie Sweeney Moore, the former head basketball coach at Robinson, the scout was originally at the game to watch a player from the opposing team. But Henderson’s performance moved her to the top of their recruiting list.

“She really held her own and she stood out,” Moore said. “You could tell that she was better or just as good as the competition.”

Henderson’s team is very proud of her and happy that she has had this opportunity. Her coach and teammates are supportive of her and the commitment that she has made.

“I’m very excited for her,” teammate Jada Flanegan (’18) said. “I’m very proud because she works hard a lot during off-season and is always putting in work.”

Henderson has been a very influential player for Robinson. During her sophomore season, she averaged 17.8 points, 3.1 assists, 7 rebounds, and 5 steals per game. According to Maxpreps, a national resource for high school player and team statistics, Henderson was above the national average in nearly all of her season stats.

Henderson’s offer from St. Joseph’s is a big step for her future and although she is relieved to have made a commitment, she has not lost her motivation to continue to strive for improvement.

“I have to keep pushing, keep working,” Henderson said. “I can focus more on the basketball season for Robinson and school now that the whole process is over with. I can just be focused for the rest of the season.”