“Do Revenge” Needs to Do Better

Netflix’s knockoff version of “Mean Girls”.

Photo Netflix

Cecilia Cheng, A&E Editor

There is only one word these characters know, payback. Starring Camila Mendes and Maya Hawke, “Do Revenge” takes us through Drea Torres’ (Mendes) and Eleanor Levetan’s (Hawke) senior year as they plot revenge on each other’s archenemy in order to gain back their reputations.

Even though this film might sound cheesy, it was quite frankly the opposite. The plot twists were absolutely insane and I didn’t see any of them coming at all. Besides that, I have more complaints than praises for this movie.

Although the aesthetic of the film was very cute, it was very unrealistic at the same time. Don’t get me wrong, I loved seeing all of them walk about in such vibrant colors and chic pieces, but in reality, we all know no private school has mint berets and pastel purple plaided mini skirts for their uniforms.

The actors in this were also rather basic and boring as well. Although they were all very well known (yes the ones who played the minor characters too), it was TOO much of a variety and seemed like a weird group of people that were put together last minute. In my opinion, most of them didn’t fit their characters and I could honestly imagine way better alternatives for these roles. Also, like many other films these days, most of them had a decade age difference from their characters; it just wasn’t convincing to see 30-year-olds play high school seniors.

I also found little to no comedic factor in it, even though the movie is classified as a comedy. All the “jokes” were rhetorical and outdated. To be honest, it felt like I was listening to my 60-year-old grandparents talk. Many parts of the film also felt repetitive, to the point where I had to fast forward because of how bored I got.

Not to mention, the quality of the film just wasn’t great overall. The actors did the best with what they were provided, so I didn’t blame them for their weak performances. The soundtrack was also a bit questionable, with some songs, like “Kids In America,” covered by Maude Latour, sounding 100% autotuned (her own songs sound nothing like this). I felt like they rushed this movie and put it out to the public too quickly; if they had spent more time on this, the movie would definitely be more enjoyable.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend anyone to watch this movie. The movie was hard to follow at times and it felt like a failed attempt at creating a Gen-Z version of iconic films like “Clueless” and “Mean Girls.” Although it wasn’t the worst movie I’ve sat through, I definitely won’t be rewatching it and advise you to save these two hours doing something else.