Julia Barret (24) waves goodbye to friends.
Around the School
Saying Sayonara to IB Seniors
Yesenia Rosario and Jasmyn Mitchner April 30, 2024
National Senior Decision Day posters for seniors to talk about their post high school plans.
Senior Decision Day
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Starlets pose on the stage at states.
Starlets Shine Bright at States
Anika Sanka, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

“Bottoms” Should Be at the Top of Your Watch List

“Bottoms” is the lesbian representation we’ve all been waiting for.
Photo IMDb
Theatrical release poster for the new comedy, “Bottoms.”

In a world full of heavy, dramatic depictions of teen life, especially gay teen life, “Bottoms” is a refreshing comedy to lighten the mood.

It feels like every show or movie about being gay is so heavy. They constantly depict the hardships and challenges faced by many members of the LGBTQ+ community. There seem to be countless movies about conversion camps and discrimination. It’s nice to see a stupid teenage comedy about lesbian teens just existing and having fun.

While this was refreshing to see, there are many other aspects that make “Bottoms” a must-see movie. Although it probably doesn’t match everyone’s taste, I found it absolutely hilarious. Between the actors’ ridiculous physical comedy and the absurd plot line, there were few moments when I wasn’t cracking up.

The film follows two best friends in their senior year of high school: PJ (Rachel Sennott) and Josie (Ayo Edebiri), as they form a fight club in an elaborate scheme to date cheerleaders. This club was formed under the disguise of a female empowerment club designed to create a more positive female community at the school.

However, PJ and Josie’s true intentions behind the club are eventually exposed by the football players who were jealous of the newfound attention that the club is attracting and taking away from them. The movie depicts the stereotypical football jock who runs the school as Jeff (Nicholas Galitzine), and his many followers. But “Bottoms” takes this stereotype to new extremes and really exaggerates the worship and praise that football players receive for doing.

The extreme and absurd nature of this movie is what makes it so funny. Seeing a popular jock acting like a child while the ground he walks on is being worshipped by the rest of the school is the perfect satirical take on every high school movie ever made.

Although I found this movie extremely funny, it is definitely geared toward a teenage audience and includes many jokes and references that adults will completely miss.

Despite its hilarity, “Bottoms” is by no means an Oscar-winning movie. While I absolutely loved it, I’ll be the first to warn people that it is not the best quality movie available. However, that’s really not the purpose of the film. It’s meant to be stupid and random and funny. And it does a great job of that.

If you need a good laugh, “Bottoms” is the perfect movie for you. It had the entire movie theater giggling for the majority of the movie.