Back to School Issue: Construction Continues into 2022-2023 School Year

The reconstruction of the RHS campus continues into the 2022-2023 school year.

Photo Juno Le

A view of the current construction progress of the school.

Vikram Sambasivan, News & Features Editor

With another school year approaching, Robinson steps into what will be yet another turbulent year. In the final days of 2021, RHS went under construction and many students had classes moved into portable classrooms which covered half of the area formerly known as the Student Parking Lot. The 2022-2023 school year comes with more changes as construction progresses. 

By August 2, the outer shells of the newly constructed three main buildings will be put up. Over the course of the upcoming year, the inner walls, air conditioning, plumbing, furniture and all other interior necessities will be installed and should be ready by the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year. 

“The [Ajax Construction Company] wants to make sure the walls are up by August 10 because they have a huge 200-foot crane in the middle of the school which is why they decided to do it this summer,” Robinson Principal David Brown said. 

At the moment, construction is behind schedule due to supply chain delays causing some classrooms to be partially under construction as the year starts.

“For example, ROTC, they gutted that whole area and are replacing all the windows. [However,] the windows are not in and neither are the frames. So… you will see plywood for windows. There may also be a couple of rooms that have ‘spot air conditioners’ because they’re waiting for some AC units to come in…” Brown said. 

The cafeteria (which is being completed this summer) has been going through renovations as well. It will be outfitted with new AC, a new faculty lounge and expanded student seating. Additional renovations include the gym and auditorium which will receive new AC, fresh coats of paint, new duct work and, for the auditorium, a new carpet.

Robinson is a school with a rich history dating back over half a century with an active alumni base. With the demolition and reconstruction of the school, the concern of erasing the past is a reality. However, Brown, an alumnus himself, is determined to not let a new building change who RHS is. 

“The original building is gone, but they are putting it back pretty much the way it was… they will just be much newer, cleaner and more efficient…” Brown said. “I mean I’m not going to paint over…the alma mater, I’m going to find a way to reincorporate the senior seal back into the school so that when you do have that person who graduated in 1960-whatever, they can still see those things and identify with the school.” 

With such a big change, student morale and support for the construction are large factors to take into account. Despite the difficulties and adjustments, students understand the necessity of the rebuild. 

“I feel like the continued construction of the school is necessary because I think our school as a whole could use a fresh start…but I would have preferred if it was done earlier so I could have experienced high school in an actual school and not through portables,” Sanjna Madabushanam (’24) said. 

Facing construction inconveniences since the second semester of the 2021-2022 school year, many in the student body raise the question of when exactly construction and renovations will finally be over. 

“…in August of 2023, when we start that school year, everything should be done by then, completely,” Brown said.