ISSUE 4: Girls’ LAX Plans to End Season Better Than They Expected

The girls’ lacrosse on collaboration and perseverance through their final games.

Photo Chelsea Rodriguez

Isabella Allbritton (’23) faces off against Plant’s team captain.

Yesenia Rosario, Staff Writer

This year has been off to a rocky start for the girls’ lacrosse team. They’ve had to teach lacrosse basics to nearly half of the team due to the majority being made up of new players, nevertheless, the team has been working hard and is currently 6-7 after playing Alonso on Tuesday, April 4.

With a fairly new team of girls, captains Issa Allbritton (’23), Madeleine Berg (’24) and Sophia D’Amore (’24) are all very proud of their team’s determination but do believe there are things to work on still.

“We’ve struggled a lot this year because almost half the team is new, but everyone has shown up,” Berg said. “I’m so proud of the progress. All of the new girls have made an astounding amount of progress during our season.”

The team runs through many drills to better their skills in many situations like reaction time, playing defense or offense, and speed. To name a few: Shuttle passing lines, Ground balls, Syracuse, and playing even scrimmages. The captains believe that these drills are helpful as these are all likely situations that could take place during a game.

“I think this drill really helps reinforce game time situations,” Berg said.“And teaches players how to react during specific situations.”

It’s important to have a good, collaborative relationship with your teammates as it’s important to build trust and be on the same page with things as it benefits the team when playing. The girls’ team is an example of this and Allbritton seems to agree.

“The team is developing,” Allbritton said. “We are on the same page most of the time, but sometimes certain things take extra practice.”

One of their most memorable games this season was their second game against Durant High School. Scoring over double the points led them to their first victory of the season and ended their first home game 19-8. With brand new players, scoring this high and winning displays how much perseverance these girls have.

The whole team is putting in the work and playing to the best of their abilities to end this season. They all keep a positive mindset throughout the entire season. This year it’s goalie Ava Booker’s (’25) first year playing lacrosse in general. She predicts the season will end on a positive note.

“There have been a lot of impressive games and some bad ones, but everyone has worked really hard to make this team better than it was at the start,” Booker said. “In my opinion, this season will end as a success regardless.”