On My Way To Canceling My Netflix Subscription!

Netflix is getting out of hand.

Netflixs+open+page+when+you+go+into+your+profile.+Here%2C+a+preview+of+the+movie+The+Blind+Side+is+displayed.+

Photo Cecilia Cheng

Netflix’s open page when you go into your profile. Here, a preview of the movie “The Blind Side” is displayed.

Cecilia Cheng, A&E Editor

If Netflix is trying to lose customers, they’re doing a phenomenal job. After upping prices already once this year, the COO of Netflix, Greg Peters, revealed that Netflix is planning to implement ads as well. I personally like to spend my Friday nights, relaxing and watching Netflix, since I don’t have to spend time watching a billion 30-second ads in a row. But ever since they announced this, I think it’s time to cancel my subscription.

Compared to other services that I pay for like Spotify, it’s guaranteed to be AD-FREE, so I’m not interrupted in the middle of something. On Netflix’s help page, they even pointed out their streaming service “allows members to watch TV shows and movies without commercials on an internet-connected device.” Well, I guess that’s all about to change. 

At this point, Netflix doesn’t differ from any other streaming services. Platforms like Hulu are way cheaper and even include more shows and movies that I’m interested in. As of right now, a basic plan on Netflix costs $9.99 a month and compared to April 2013, a basic plan was free! That’s right, I never remember Netflix being free either.

On top of that, the company was discussing how they want to implement a software that limits users outside of your house from using your account. Now as a broke teenager in high school, my friend and I share a Netflix account which allows both of us to enjoy our free time without paying as much. I think it’s ridiculous how much Netflix is changing its platform. I get it, you need to adjust it to make it match the economy, but if you keep this up, you are going to get canceled.

All of this is just unreasonable. Who knows what other absurd thing Netflix is going to do next. What’s bothering me is the fact that most people are struggling to find a job right now ever since COVID and now companies like Netflix are charging us more just to sneak in a few extra dollars? There’s only one thing I can say: give me back my money.