Back to School Issue: Q&A with Diver Sela Teplin and Swimmer Casey Kemp

Seniors Sela Teplin and Casey Kemp give insight about Robinson’s divers and swimmers.

Photo Ally Clement

Casey Kemp (’23) pumping up his fellow swim teammates during a swim meet.

Charlotte Stone, Print Managing Editor

With the 2022-2023 school year quickly approaching, students are starting to prepare for the upcoming fall sports. Among these students are Sela Teplin (’23) and Casey Kemp(’23), who are getting ready for the diving and swimming team.

Q: How long have you been diving/swimming for?

ST: I have been diving since fall of 2021. I had no prior experience in diving; however, I have been involved in acrobatic-like training (dance, gymnastics, and cheerleading) since I was 5.

CK: I’ve been swimming since Freshman year.

Q: Why did you join dive/swim?

ST: I joined dive because I wanted to get more involved in the school. I felt like it would give me the opportunity to get to know more people as well as challenge myself.

CK: I joined because I wanted to try something new and I thought it would be a great way to meet people before school started.

Q: What’s something you wish students knew about dive/swim?

ST: I wish that students knew what the atmosphere is like at diving practice. It is so relaxed and supportive because of our amazing teammates. Also during the morning practices the sunrises are beautiful! 

CK: I think the early morning practice times can be intimidating to some students, but I’d like everyone to know that they’re not too difficult to get used to, and they free up lots of time in the afternoon.

Q: What’s your favorite memory from diving/swimming team?

ST: My favorite memory of diving is going to Districts last year with my team. We went out to breakfast beforehand and got to know one another really well. Districts was beyond rewarding to see our hard work pay off.

CK: My favorite swim team memory is Districts of my junior year. The hard work that my teammates and I had put in over the course of the season paid off, and every swimmer contributed to Robinson winning our first District title in 30 years.

Q: How much experience do students need to join dive/swim?

ST: I would say not much experience is required for diving. I think having an acrobatic background definitely helps but it isn’t necessary. I think as long someone is willing and ready to learn they are good to go!

CK: I joined swim my Freshman year never having swum competitively before, and our team is so welcoming and willing to help one another that I believe no prior experience is required.

Q: Why should students join dive/swim?

ST: Students should join diving because it is extremely rewarding. The feeling of getting a dive that you have been working on for a while is so wonderful, and having your teammates’ support during that moment is amazing! Also, it’s a great way to get involved in the school!

CK: Students should join swim because it’s like a family; each person on the swim team is equally important to our overall success, and we’ve created an environment of friendly competition and learning that allows swimmers of every level to thrive.

Q: How do you think the team will do now that you’ve lost last year’s seniors?

ST: Last year we did not have any seniors, so our team dynamic has not changed in that manner. However, we would love to have some new divers on our team!

CK: Although we’ve lost some amazing swimmers, I’m more excited than ever for our team to win and find success in the postseason because of the increased depth of our roster and the extra camaraderie produced by summer practices and spirit days.

Sela Teplin (‘23)(right) with Maya Tahiri (‘23) at a meet against Alonso and Leto. (Photo Ingalls Witte)