INSTAGRAM: Surfs Up Guys, It’s Fall Sports Season

Dominic+Hernandez+%2824%29+participating+in+the+junior+hula-hoop+competition.+

Photo Grace Hilton

Dominic Hernandez (’24) participating in the junior hula-hoop competition.

Allie Barton, Social Media Editor

To kick off the start of the new year, SGA held a pep rally to hype up the football team’s first game of the season and the beginning of fall sport.

Walking into the gym, you could see the upper and lower classmen make their way to their sections. Oscar Poland (’23) and Alex Galvin (’23) were on the welcoming committees of today’s event. As soon as everyone was settled in, the swim team ran out from the right east side of the gym and brought the hype into the room. Then the golf team made their entrance by running out of the same doorway. The football team came out last to round out all the fall teams. After that, the cheerleading squad came out to support and celebrate the first sports season of the year.

The spirit boys then presented themselves with Blake Halverson (’23) standing on a surfboard being held by his fellow football teammates.

“It’s not something that anyone would really expect, plus it fits with the theme well,” Halverson states why he wanted to be the surfer of today’s rally.

Other things that happened were a tug-a-war contest, the band performed and the starlets gave an amazing performance while dancing to the song “Kids In America” by Kim Wilde. The traditional SOG chant was shouted across the gym, led by Poland.

One more thing, to fit the Surf’s Up theme, a hula hoop contest happened, but with a twist. When the hula hoop contest began, each class had to stand in a circle hand and hand and had a hula hoop in between the interlaced arms.

After the first-year students wiped out the other classes in the hula hoop contest, Robinson wrestling coach Tomas Montero and a few football players came out the east entrance and started lipsyncing “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys to the gymnasium. Then on the west side of the gym, some of the cheerleading squad backed up IB Biology teacher Sarah Sanford in challenging the boys by lipsyncing “…Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears.

To wrap up the end of the event, the entire gym was filled with the sound of the class chants. At the end of the competition, the seniors wiped out the freshmen class and won overall.