The student news site of Robinson High School

Knight Writers

• Feb. 16 is a Non-Student Day
  • Spring Break is Mar. 11-15.

Knight Writers

Knight Writers

Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
POLL

Does Taylor Swift deserve the hype?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“Parallel”: A Perfect Capture of the Parallel-Reality Genre

“Parallel”, directed by Aldis and Edwin Hodge, is a well-made movie in an untapped genre
The promotional poster from the Hodge brothers Parallel.
Photo Wikipedia.com
The promotional poster from the Hodge brother’s “Parallel”.

The Hodge brother’s film “Parallel,” a remake of the Chinese student film “Parallel Forest,” was released Feb. 23. Based off the consistent let-downs of the films I seem to review (latest being “Argylle”, which I had high hopes for), it was a pleasant surprise. I went into it not knowing what to expect, and I walked away thinking about a story that left a deep impact. It’s sad, it’s emotional, it’s suspenseful and it’s beautifully done in every aspect; the acting is phenomenal, the set is filled with natural beauty, and the soundtrack is immersive and fitting.

The film follows grieving mother Vanessa (Danielle Deadwyler), still devastated over the loss of her son in a car accident a year prior. She and her husband, Alex (Aldis Hodge), and brother-in-law, Martel (Edwin Hodge), escape to the family’s lake house, nestled deep in the forest. Soon after arrival, while on a hike in the woods, Vanessa is attacked by a parallel version of herself from an alternate reality. She soon finds herself lost in a maze of alternate dimensions and parallel realities, encountering dozens of versions of herself, Alex and Martel, all while struggling to balance the idea of the multiverse and the concept that, somewhere, her son might still be alive.

What touched me most, if I had to pick one thing (which I can’t; all of it was great to watch) was the acting. All the characters felt very, very real. Their performances, especially Deadwyler’s portrayal of a shellshocked, grieving woman, were detailed, immersive and memorable. The entire film is both emotionally disturbing, unsettling, and yet so captivating. Both of the Hodge’s roles, especially Aldis Hodge’s portrayal of a father trying to put the past behind him and keep his marriage together were beautifully done.

Put bluntly, the film was great. I’m a huge fan of anything to do with alternate dimensions, and the entire premise of the film was based on a concept I’ve always found fascinating: Hugh Everett’s many-worlds interpretation, a theory stating that, essentially, every outcome of a given situation is physically realized in the creation of a new, alternate universe, leading to a practically endless number of parallel realities.

It’s a niche, underappreciated, practically-unheard-of genre that has far too much unrealized potential. This film does have one flaw, though, and it is a flaw doomed to follow any time-travel, sci-fi parallel-reality movie; it’s incredibly confusing the deeper you think into it, to the point of paradox. So, take it lightly. Don’t think about it too much, just appreciate the story, the characters and respect the Hodge brothers for attempting to tackle such a daunting concept. While you’re at it, congratulate them, because they hit the nail right on the head.
If I had to judge, the Hodge brothers are on the route to be a name as well-known as the Coens.