Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

The Stories Left Unread

The library is being fazed out and it’s our job to stop it
Photo Anika Sanka
An empty library full of unread books.

When was the last time you had to do some research for an assignment and you decided to go to the library to find a book on the topic? Most likely, it has been a while. While that had once been the traditional use for the library, the internet has almost completely extinguished that practice. Due to this, some may say that libraries are decreasing in relevance and are eventually going to be fazed out of schools.

There is some truth to be found in this statement when many school libraries are turning into “multipurpose rooms” or are seen to just be glorified computer labs. However, it’s imperative that schools keep libraries because their purpose is essential to a good school environment.

“I think that a lot of people have said libraries are irrelevant or nobody goes to the library anymore. But that’s absolutely not true. Because librarians, as we have always done traditionally, have changed with the times. And we brought technology into the library because that’s where the information is. My degree is Library Information Sciences for a reason, because my job is to connect people with information and whether that information is found in a book or on the internet,” Robinson Media Specialist Shannon Chamberlain said. 

The majority of students forget that the library is a great resource for getting information and solely utilize the internet for information, which isn’t always reliable.

“Public libraries, as well as school libraries, buy databases and collections of information. And here at Robinson, we actually subscribe to a database called World Book online and that is literally who used to make those amazing encyclopedia collections you used to see in traditional libraries. The beauty is that it’s online now so it can be constantly updated, so you guys got free resources to go in there and you know, use those to help support your research,” Chamberlain said.

Outside of its research purposes, students forget that the library is a nice space that is always available to them. It can be used for meeting up to work on a project, printing out assignments or simply picking out a book and unwinding. For IB students especially, the library can be taken advantage of during their allotted JA (research) time.

“I use the library every day or at least once a week and to me, the library is very comforting and a safe space. It’s very quiet and good for studying and relaxing,” Jordynn Borst (’26) said.

Interest in reading for students has also decreased over the years making the library less relevant. One leading cause of the decreased interest is the enforcement of reading and annotating in high school English. Most don’t particularly enjoy the extensive reading and annotation that comes with English and this creates negative feelings associated with reading. It’s hard to enjoy reading for fun when you’re forced to read five chapters of Shakespeare a week.

If we could put some effort into reigniting that spark and finding books that we truly enjoy reading, students can help bring back the library and make it the influential place it used to be. 

“The library’s always been so much more than a place that has books. It’s also a place to connect to your community, connect with each other and do group projects. So even though the circulation isn’t as high as it used to be, I think the people who want it will still come,” Chamberlain said

View Comments (1)
$1210
$1500

Anika Sanka
Anika Sanka, Staff Writer
Anika Sanka is a sophomore at Robinson and a staff writer of Knight Writers. This is her first year on staff. Sanka was brought to Journalism by her interest in creative writing and expressing her opinions through writing. An opinionated storyteller, Sanka favors opinion pieces where she can emphasize what she feels most passionate about. "I think stories where you can tell the reader is interested in and passionate about what they are writing about are much more enjoyable reads. That's why I like opinion pieces," Sanka said. Outside of the newsroom, Sanka enjoys AP European History and Biology class, which she misses from last year. She likes science, just not when math is involved. Sanka finds much time to avoid math by reading, dancing, attending meetings at the YMCA Leaders program or attending track practice. "Practice is five days a week and we have meets most weeks. It's kind of hard but pretty rewarding overall. Running recreationally to uplifting playlists is one of my [favorite] things to do," Sanka said In her free time Sanka enjoys going thrifting, shopping at her favorite store, Trader Joe's, or watching trashy, early '00s kid's movies. Some of her favorites include "A Cinderella Story," "She's That Man" and "How To Train Your Dragon." She loves trashy teen movies because she finds the predictable cliches and bad dialogue funny. When Sanka gets home and is ready to wind down from the day, she indulges in her favorite sweet treats, which are often chocolate based. "The thought of watching "Shameless" and eating a snack after school is the only thing that gets me through the day," Sanka said. Another one of Sanka's motives to get through the day is daydreaming about traveling, which she loves to do whenever she can. She wishes to one day go to Thailand because she wants to experience a culture that is extremely diverse from ours, and she loves their food. Sanka is excited for her future, but hasn't decided what she wants to be yet. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll see where newspaper takes me," Sanka said.  
$1210
$1500

• G

Grace ShaferMar 6, 2024 at 2:27 pm

Ate!

Reply