Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Spanish Literacy

Constructing their picture book, Alainah Bhutta (’16) and Nhu-y Nguyen (’16) put the title page into their Spanish picture book about Dumbo the elephant. Students could work by themselves or in pairs on this project, and had to present the book aloud to the class in Spanish. “I liked it, it was a fun way to learn everything in class,” said Bhutta.

With reading initiatives school-wide, Barbara Rice helped incorporate the theme of reading literacy into her classes by having her Spanish 2 students write and illustrate a picture book in Spanish.

The students made their picture books individually or in pairs, and had to read the books to the class aloud in Spanish. The book could be on any topic, but had to include not only the  present but the past, and preterite tense, tense the students had just learned in the previous chapter.

Madeline Strasen (’16) did her picture book on animals. “I thought it was a fun assignment, it was better than writing a paper or doing bookwork,” said Strasen. “I think [doing] a lot of writing helped [my Spanish], it helped me figure out which verb tense goes where.”

This was the first year Rice did the projects with her Spanish 2 classes, although she had done it with her French 2 classes in years prior. “I think they liked being able to use the language [in the project],” said Rice. “The most important part of learning a new language is applying the words you learn in sentences, and that is exactly what they were doing in this project.”