Soap and Suds Helping Send RHS Cheer to UCA Camp

Robinson Cheer hosts a fundraiser at Woodie’s Wash Shack.

Photo Keirra McGoldrick

The cheerleading team preforming a group stunt at the first competition of the season.

Vikram Sambasivan, News and Features Editor

With the end of the school year approaching, student-athletes and school athletic programs begin to look towards taking their teams to the next level during the summer season.  

The Robinson Cheer Team is conducting a fundraiser at Woodie’s Wash Shack where they receive 40% of all sales made from Tuesday, May 9 to Monday, May 29 when customers use the QR code, as seen below.

RHS Cheer car wash fundraiser Instagram post (Photo Robinson Cheer)

“The purpose of this fundraiser is to raise the money that is needed for our team to go to [the Universal Cheerleading Association] (UCA) camp,” Robinson Cheer Co-Captain Amelia Kempton (’24) said. “We have to go to camp in order to be allowed to compete at some of our competitions and it is also very important for the success of the team because we get lots of instruction and help from the UCA staff.”

While fundraising is always important, this fundraiser is very significant for cheer due to changes regarding coaching staff as well as the status of the team.

“Most of the money will go to paying for camp. Cheer is an expensive sport and because of us getting a coach and team so late last year we did not have lots of time to fundraise and prepare for this year,” Kempton said. “Coach Bri has been working so hard to help us raise money for this season so we are really trying to help her out. Camp is $500 per cheerleader so this adds up quickly which is why we are pushing our fundraisers so much.”

Helping the cheer team is not the only reason to attend the car wash, rather, the benefits can be seen in one’s everyday commute. 

“It [the car wash] is not expensive, and your car could always use it (plus they give you free air fresheners),” Robinson Cheer Co-Captain Addison McDowell (’24) said.  

Aside from the cash wash, students are able to support cheer in many ways.

“[Outside of the car wash, students can also support cheer by] following our social media, sharing our fundraisers with their friends and family and we can even accept donations in other forms,” Head Cheer Coach Briana Godfrey said.