2016: Moderates, Pick Your Poison

Photo V.Falcon

The current statistics for every candidate displayed in Mr.Falls room (249)

Veronica Falcon, Staff Writer

The 2016 presidential election has been full of twists, turns, as well as unlikely candidates and expected outcomes.

It was anyone’s game at the beginning, despite the seemingly clear Democratic nominee. Things changed, however, when business mogul, Donald J. Trump, announced he would running for president of the United States of America, having absolutely no political background.

At the beginning many doubted  Trump’s decision to run. His campaign has been very controversial, raising questions about the legitimacy of his policies and his candidacy as a whole.

Now facing the possibility of a brokered convention, Trump, as Donald Pippin, Psychology teacher, pointed out, “needs to get the majority of delegates or he will never be candidate, there’s too many people who appose him so he doesn’t make it on the first ballot there is no chance he’ll make it on a second or third ballot. In fact, Ted Cruz currently is recruiting delegates to switch after the first ballot, so either he gets the majority or he’s out.”

Trump also has amassed a large number of followers despite his ridiculous and impractical policy ideas and his less than savory racial and cultural views. His rallies and public appearances have recently become very dangerous and violent due to the enthusiasm and devotion of his supporters; some of this violence has been instigated by Trump himself.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton was the leading contender from the get-go. Even though Hillary has since had many credibility issues, she continues to lead the Democratic nomination race, towering of all candidates.

“On the other hand Hillary Clinton is loosing ground fast to Bernie Sanders, and so the New York primary could be the turning point for the Sanders campaign.” commented Pippin.

We asked students and teachers how they felt about the election, what their thoughts were when each potential candidate announced their campaign if they though both Trump and Hillary would make it as far they they did.

“When Hillary announced her candidacy it made sense and seemed pretty given. But when Trump announced his, my whole family and I saw it as joke and we thought it was just a publicity stunt,” said Tatiana Fabian (’18). “I think it’s scary that Trump could be a potential nominee, but I think that would probably be detrimental to the Republicans.”

Victoria Asgard (’16), faced with the decision of who to vote for in November, is not enthusiastic about her prospects.

“I just think each has a lot of fundamental issues,” Asgard said. “I wish there was a candidate I strongly supported. However, that’s not the case so I have to pick between the two that are there, which would be like picking the best out of two evils.”

While this election has certainly seen enthusiasm from the far sides of the aisle, moderate voters remain lukewarm, at best. In a country with a history of centrism, 2016 has been anything but typical. There truly is no telling what will happen come November 8.