Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Can You Buy My Love?

Valentine’s Day has become a large marketing scheme for businesses to capitalize on love
Photo Anika Sanka
Popular Valentines day merchandise in the clearance section on Feb. 15.

Red plastic hearts, candy with little messages on them, red roses doubling in price. In the age of consumerism, Valentine’s Day, a time meant for love and affection, is highly capitalized on. It has become so bad that unless you’re presented with a bouquet of overpriced flowers, a stuffed animal and some sort of candy, the person doesn’t love you enough to make an effort.

Look, I love getting presents and heart-shaped paraphernalia as much as the next girl, but I would also appreciate a sweet gesture the same amount or even more. If you could choose between someone making a creative scavenger hunt that shows their love for you or getting some roses and a teddy bear, the choice should be obvious.

It’s become so normalized that everyone needs to get the exact same basic items for their partner, and businesses have no doubt had a part in orchestrating this system. If you really think about it, do you need to get the same boring box of chocolates everyone else bought for your significant other when you can just get them their favorite food or treat instead? This simple change shows your partner that you pay attention to them and that you went out of your way to get something you know would make them happy.

Sometimes, expressions of love can even decrease in value when they are items you can get on Amazon by simply pressing a button. The same old gifts year after year aren’t an accurate depiction of love and limit people’s creativity. Acts that require spending time together are more fulfilling in my opinion. Creating a playlist together, having a picnic, volunteering together or going hiking are a few examples.

Another tip is to take into account the five love languages: words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, gift giving and physical touch. Some might find it more romantic if someone cooks them a nice dinner rather than receiving flowers. Every person falls into one of the categories but the over consumerism has manipulated people into thinking that gift giving is the only option.

While Valentine’s Day continues to be a day cherished by many for celebrating love and affection, the growing awareness of its materialistic values has inspired reflection on the true essence of the holiday. Is a stuffed bear a true representation of your love or was it a clever marketing scheme? The debate over whether Valentine’s Day is an authentic celebration of love or an over-commercialized holiday still persists, and in the end it always comes down to the effort that you put into it.