Shot putter places at states, aims higher next season

Cilicia Anderson, Staff Writer

Coming from Camp Zama, Japan, Destiny Thomas (’19) was exposed to Florida’s highest level of competition during her first track season at Robinson.

“This being my first year at an American school, coming from overseas, states was extremely competitive like I’ve never seen before and it’s great exposure to some of the best throwers around the country,” Thomas said.

Thomas was the only shot putter from Robinson to place at districts and make the regional meet with a personal record of 11.1 meters. Thomas said there was pressure to move on to the FHSAA Track and Field Finals at IMG Academy in Bradenton so she worked on her throwing form.

“Fundamental basic skills were key to me becoming very successful with track and one of the main reasons why I made it to states,” Thomas said.

Ironically, Thomas originally wasn’t planning on joining the team. It was her coach, Kailyn Morman, who encouraged her to come out to practices.

“Destiny was fun because she didn’t want to do track so I had to follow her to third period everyday before she would agree to come out,” Morman said. “So she came out and joined in the middle of the season and as soon as she got back out there and was throwing, she remembered that feeling of success.”

Morman said that Thomas improved in discus and more than tripled her throwing distance. As only a sophomore,  Thomas threw a 10.92 meter at the state meet and is looking forward to next spring’s track season.

“This year I was a finalist and came in 9th. Next year my goal is to bring back my medal placing 8th or better and senior year’s goal is winning and hitting my season goal of 50 feet,” she said.

Thomas said she’s happy with the turnout of her season and thanks her coach for helping her get to this point.

“So, overall this is the best season of any sport I’ve ever had and for that I can thank Coach Morman because she encouraged me to come out and was the only one there working with me every single day after school,” Thomas said.

Morman said she enjoyed working with Thomas as well.

“She was an awesome addition to the team because of her attitude and quiet leadership, especially with the throwers and the other field event people,” Morman said. “She was joining mid-season so she kind of got thrown into a team that had already formed and I think the other girls did a good job of bonding throughout the season because they all just knew that they had to step up where other people wouldn’t and she had that personality anyway so she just fit right in.”